Join Mission2Alpha in #Running4Raiders in the 2024 Bataan Memorial Death March at White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico on March 16th! Run as an individual or build a team of five – run the heavy with a 35-pound ruck or light without a ruck! Choose from the marathon distance (26.2 miles) or the Honorary March (14.2 miles). All team members will be asked to fundraise – we will have some great fundraising incentives and fun contests! Learn more and register for the race by visiting https://bataanmarch.com/
Can’t get to New Mexico to race in person? Join our team and create your own route as a virtual team member – details on how to get started can be found here: https://bataanmarch.com/virtualbag/
- What is the Bataan DeathMarch?
The Army ROTC Department at New Mexico State University began sponsoring the Bataan Memorial Death March in 1989. The memorial march was to mark a page in history that included many native sons and affected many families in the state. In 1992, White Sands Missile Range and the New Mexico National Guard joined in the sponsorship and the event was moved to the White Sands Missile Range.
Since its inception, the Bataan Memorial Death March’s participation has grown from about 100 to about 9,600 marchers. These marchers come from across the United States and several foreign countries. While still primarily a military event, many civilians choose to participate in the challenging march. Participants get to choose between two courses: a 14.2-mile and a 26.2-mile course.
Marchers participate in the Bataan Memorial Death March for many reasons: personal challenge, the spirit of competition, or to foster esprit de corps in their unit. Some march in honor of a family member or a particular veteran who was in the Bataan Death March or who was taken as a prisoner of war by the Japanese in the Philippines.
- Why this event?
This event is not only unique, but this challenge has a category for everyone! You can do the full 26.2 mile marathon route, the 14.2 mile Honorary March, either with a weighted with a ruck or without!
- How will we train?
We will issue a training plan to all team members which will be available by the first week of January. We will also be sponsoring hikes throughout the valley with varying levels of difficulty and distance.
- How Do I Register?
1. Step One: Follow the link to the Bataan Death March event – https://bataanmarch.com/register/
If you are going to register virtually, please visit VIRTUAL (bataanmarch.com)
2. Choose the individual registration, then either heavy or light division.
3. Choose the distance of your challenge – 14.2 miles or 26.2 miles
4. Complete your registration on the race website
5. To create your fundraising page, please visit 2024 Mission2Alpha Bataan Death March Team | Mightycause
- Fundraising proceeds will be split between the Marine Raider Foundation (80%) and Mission2Alpha (20%).
- We will have a minimum fund raise of $500 per team member.
- We will (as usual) provide each team member with fund-raising tips!
- We will offer some cool incentives to motivate you to exceed your goal!
Questions? Please contact John at email@example.com or 480-510-6310.
Photo credit: SPC Tackora Farrington